Over the last few years, I have been used by God in a way that even though I don't question God, I did not understand how it would impact others and most of all me. It all started when my mother had her heart attack--I wasn't at home when she had it but was able to be at the hospital that night in Hattiesburg. While watching my mother drift from us, I was able to spend the last few minutes with her--giving her some moments with a few of us to tell her it was ok to leave us even though we knew it would break our hearts. Those last moments with her were peaceful and as if we knew God was taking her by the hand and taking her with Him to a better place.
Then there was the time I spent with Harvey's sister, Jean, while she was critically ill and in the hospital. I was called to the hospital by the girls to sit with Jean and Mawie. While we were sitting there, I was watching Jean slowly leave us but the conversation I was having with Mawie was as important. While Jean was leaving this earth, we were talking about Angels and how we believe they give us guidance and help us prepare for a better life. At the moment, Jean slowly took her last breath and we were at peace with it. I told Mawie that Jean had just died and I was going to get the nurse. The room seemed so peaceful even though we had just had our family memeber die.
The most significant example of God 's use of me was when Robert was in the hospital dying of cancer--he asked the girls to call me--I wondered why--but they insisted I come to the hospital. Robert and I had been close but only as sister-in-law and brother-in-law. I figured if he called me, then we needed to have time to talk together without company in the room. We shared about God and Robert being ready to leave this earthly life. We visited for about 30 minutes. Then Harvey and I came home. Within a couple of days, we were called back to the hospital and knew Robert wasn't doing well. Everyone had left the room but Ann(Robert's girlfriend)and I. I slowly made my way to his left side and talked to him softly, and kissed him on his head. Within seconds his heart rate dropped and his blood pressure gave way to his death. I wondered--why me Lord--why me--what did I do to be placed in this situation.
The answer did not come then (but it took a while). There have been several other cases where similiar things have happened and I still didn't understand but accepted it. My dad's death was one that really stands out.
Recently, Skip, gave me a book to read called "The Laying on of Hands". I couldn't put it down until I finished it. It was a great book and I only wish the author had written more. The book, reminded me of many of my experiences that I could not explain but also gave me insight as to how God has a plan and he uses me at His calling and not mine. I have stopped asking the question--why me Lord--and I just accept whatever it is that I am suppose to be doing in this life. If there is some special touch or words I have to share that will make life or death easier for someone, then I pray I can serve God in that way.
This was not meant to be a conversation about death except to explain that God uses us in ways we can't explain and the peace that comes with it--is worth sharing.
Thanks for sharing your book--Skip.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home